What a great time it is for getting the family together over the Easter break with all that post-Lent fare. But don’t let this become an emergency for your pet dog.
Yes dogs evolved as scavenger eons ago but the human diet, let alone that of dogs, has changed dramatically since then. All of our domestically grown meats are now far fattier than they once used to be, for instance until not long ago Prime Spring Lamb in this country was referred to as “Fat Lamb”.
Dogs are particularly prone to “Religious Holiday- itis” in other words Pancreatitis which can be fatal by simply indulging in the leftovers from your festive table – lamb, pork, turkey…any kind of fatty meat in fact. You should also avoid feeding your dog cooked bones as well.
Particularly if your pet dog is displaying the following signs then you should seek urgent veterinary attention ASAP –
•Loss of appetite (anorexia)
•Weight loss (more common in cats)
•Fatigue and sluggishness
•Mild to severe abdominal pain (may become more sever after eating)
•Increased heart rate
So before you sling your pooch that leftover joint of meat it bears considering that it might
Easter is a time for chocolates – bunnies, bibles, bring ‘em all on. But NOT for your dog – it could be fatal! Of course Easter is the main time for this to occur when many households have stockpiles of chocolates stashed around the place. Remember dogs are good at sniff it out and finding it.
There is a current trend to darker type chocolate, which may be better for us humans, but is far worse for our pets, should they eat it.
See the problem lies in the following basic ingredients in the chocolate: Theobromine as well as Caffeine.
So if your pet dog is displaying the following signs then you should seek urgent veterinary attention ASAP –
• Increased body temperature
• Increased reflex responses
• Muscle rigidity
• Rapid breathing
• Increased heart rate
• Low blood pressure
• Advanced signs (cardiac failure, weakness, and coma)
So before you sling your pooch that nice Easter chocky it bears considering that it might
Dr Dave, David Horan of vet2u mobile house call vet offers a complete veterinary service to the pets of Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Western Sydney region (see map below)
Dr Dave originally set up one of the first house call veterinary services in Sydney back in 1996.
– Dental Checks
– Pet Maintenance
-All of these professional veterinary services can be can be accessed in the comfort of your own home by Dr Dave of vet2u mobile house call vet
Dr Dave originally set up one of the first house call veterinary services in Sydney back in 199Dr Dave originally set up one of the first house call veterinary services in Sydney back in 199